Georgetown to rename two buildings tied to slavery | News
WASHINGTON (AP) - Georgetown University has announced it will rename two buildings that had been named for school presidents who organized the sale of slaves to help pay off campus debt in the 1830s.
The Washington Post reports university President John J. DeGioia sent an email to the Georgetown community Saturday evening saying he was changing the names based on a recommendation from his Working Group on Slavery, Memory and Reconciliation.
Mulledy Hall is a dormitory named for President Thomas F. Mulledy, who authorized the sale of 272 slaves to a Louisiana plantation owner in 1838. It will be called Freedom Hall until a permanent name is chosen.
McSherry Hall, which houses a meditation center and was named for President William McSherry, will be called Remembrance Hall until it's renamed. McSherry advised Mulledy during the 1838 sale.
Like this story? Like WUSA9 on Facebook.